Thursday, August 17, 2006

Photoshop = Sweatshop

When I first started messing around with Photoshop I thought it would be cool when I got good enough for people to ask me to make flyers for them. Damn my vain'ness. Making flyers is actually fun, especially when you do finish and see the flyer in full color print. But when you have to do 4 photoshop projects in 3 days, you start to get well, miserable.

I should just tell these people that I already have enough things to do with my limited time after work. But I have a "can't say no" syndome when it comes to things that I can do on the computer. This all includes photoshop, web design, and audio mixing. Damn my talented technological brain!

But Fozzie, I thought you enjoyed making funny pictures? Look at your facebook albums! - Well yes that's true, but lately I've spent no more then an hour doing those wacky pictures. Largely because they don't need to look real. They look "real enough" that someone can see the Thriller Cover and almost imagine I was really on it. (Only my meeting with Bush had to look real because it was my first time using photoshop and I wanted to push the envelope of what I could do).

Flyers and web sites... I might as well make t-shirts for Kathy Lee Gifford somewhere in Malaysia! Though I have yet to "sign" my flyers (maybe I should) it's easy to tell someone, Hey I made this, when the flyer looks nice. I'd rather not attach my name to crappy work.

With that mindset, I try to make the flyers look as professional as I can given my current skill level. All that attention takes time. Especially with revisions and printer requests, flyers take alot of time. Blue & White Weekend alone ( though that's not the average flyer ) coupled with my internship took days to finish.

Many of the Blue & White Weekend flyers were created before I started working. Then it's fun. Those flyers went like this...
Eat Breakfast - Work on Flyer - Watch People's Court - Work On Flyer- Eat Lunch - Work on Flyer- Watch the Simpsons - Work On Flyer - Play Madden - Work On Flyer - Dinner - Work on Flyer - Goto Sleep. Plenty of "work on flyer" time.

Now with my internship...
Eat Breakfast - WOOOORK- WOOOOORK -WOOOOOOORK - Eat Lunch -WOOOORK - WOOOOORK - Eat Dinner - Work on Flyer. Notice the difference? We're not even gonna get into web sites which I also use photoshop to begin the site's graphical side.

So if you see me looking very grumpy, don't worry it's not you, it's those flyers, giving me the skills I need to work in the sweat shops of tomorrow... or today! I hear Shaq has a shoe deal in china...

*For only $6 a day you can sponor a comment to leave.

*You don't have to be a Blogger Member to leave a comment. Click other under "choose an identity" and enter any name , then type in the word verification.

No comments: